Skaala products are designed for minimal maintenance. The maintenance need depends on the local climate and other local and structural factors. We recommend that windows be checked at least once a year. Regular maintenance helps to keep the products in good working order. The warranty is valid only if the product has been installed and maintained according to Skaala manuals.
• The painted surfaces and seals should also be washed when cleaning windows, and at least once a year
• Loose and damaged seals should be replaced
• Fittings (hinges and locks) should be oiled when windows are cleaned
• Adjust the frames if necessary
• Painted products should first be wiped with a damp cloth. Use alkaline detergents.
• Avoid using strong solvents or excessive detergent, as they can dull the painted surface.
• If using anti-fungal detergents, check with the detergent manufacturer whether the surface should be repainted after treatment. Some anti-fungal detergents may destroy the anti-fungal properties of the paint.
• External aluminium surfaces do not require maintenance, but they should be washed regularly, at least once a year. The water holes on the bottom frames should also be cleaned at least once a year.
• Windows that are over 150cm wide must be braced when fully opened
• Use mild detergents.
• Persistent stains that are difficult to remove with regular cleaning products should be removed carefully with a glass scraper.
• Stains such as glue and paint are best removed with xylene, which is available from paint stores and large retail stores. Acetone (e.g. nail polish remover) is slightly stronger and more effective for removing paint stains.
• These solvents should not be used on wood or aluminium parts – do not let the solvent run over these surfaces when using it on glass.
• If solvents are used, the window must be washed again immediately with water.
• During construction, any rendering material or concrete must be removed from the glass without delay. Use plenty of water, a mild alkaline detergent solution or xylene.
Do not rub stains or attempt to remove them dry.
Cleaning and maintenance of coated glass
Applies to the following products: self-cleaning Activ glass, K glass (selective) and FrostFree glass
• Avoid using hard abrasive tools (e.g. scrapers, steel wool). Mechanical abrasion can damage the surface beyond repair.
• Avoid touching the glass with any kind of metal
• Avoid using chemicals that may damage the coating permanently
• Use of strong acidic or alkaline products is prohibited
• Avoid washing the glass in direct sunlight
The following points should be taken into account in the maintenance of fire-rated windows (compartmentalising windows EI30 and EI15 / E30): If the expandable fire seals of the frame or the insulation glass become damaged, they must be replaced with equivalent products. It is best to check this with the manufacturer. Seals should be left in situ when washing windows or touching up the paintwork. Large (over 1m²) fire-rated windows must be braced when opened for cleaning. In fire-rated windows the glass is much heavier, which is why relatively smaller windows must also be braced.
• Adjusting the summer/closed/winter setting
• The setting can be adjusted from the handle at the end of the vent. The left position is for summer, the middle is closed, and the right position is for winter.
• Replacing the filter between the vent and the air space
• We recommend changing the filter twice a year
• The air dampener does not need to be removed during cleaning.
• The air channels inside the dampener can be cleaned with e.g. a vacuum cleaner.
• The filter material is not washable.
• Other plastic and aluminium surfaces should be wiped with a damp cloth soaked in mild detergent solution.
• Do not use solvents.
• Blinds fitted between the window panes do not require special care or maintenance. Regular cleaning with a vacuum cleaner or a damp cloth (without detergent) is sufficient.
• In blinds fitted over the glass, the turning mechanism should be treated with 100% silicone approximately every two years.
The external surface treatment of wood and panel components should be checked yearly. Any knocks or cracks should be repaired immediately.
"*" indicates required fields